Dinosaurs: Land of Fire and Ice®
Crossing the threshold of this exhibit means traveling back in time to explore the Age of the Dinosaurs! As visitors move through the exhibit, they encounter unfamiliar landscapes, touchable dinosaurs of all shapes and sizes, and opportunities to investigate clues about what the dinosaurs left behind. This exhibit builds on the popular fascination with dinosaurs and includes science activities to challenge all ages.
The exhibit features three distinct sections: Land of Fire (a warm dinosaur habitat), Land of Ice (a cold dinosaur habitat), and a Field Research Station (complete with a Big Dig component). While the warm environment is based on content that is familiar to most visitors, the cold environment incorporates recent scientific research about dinosaurs that lived in cold climates like Alaska. Science inquiry skills are essential in the Field Research Station as visitors uncover dinosaur bones in a dig station and examine fossils to identify dinosaurs. Each section of the exhibit is divided by a series of low walls that give adults visual access to the entire exhibit while keeping each section distinct and autonomous. Extensive and detailed muraling throughout the exhibit ensures an immersive, environmental aesthetic.
- Create immersive dinosaur habitats that transport visitors back in time to when dinosaurs last roamed the land;
- Leverage the high appeal of and curiosity about dinosaurs to spark children's interest in science;
- Engage visitors in meaningful science experiences and activities that use scientific thinking skills and focus on natural history and paleontology;
- Promote whole-body learning by creating activities that incorporate large motor skills and dramatic play;
- Provide opportunities to build vocabulary and oral language skills through fun and engaging science activities.
Geography, Paleontology and Scientific Inquiry
Ages 3-10, families and groups.
Text graphics are in English and Spanish.
Marketing, publicity, educational materials and installation guide are provided. On-call Museum staff support available.
Amber Stevenson, Traveling Exhibit Manager, 651-225-6053 or contact Traveling Exhibits online.
2,000 square feet
$45,000 plus inbound shipping
Summer 2014 and after
Current and Future Hosts
Creative Discovery Museum
Portland Children's Museum
Glazer Children's Museum
Minnesota Children's Museum
Available Summer 2014 and beyond
Contact Traveling Exhibits for more information.
©2010 Minnesota Children’s Museum. All rights reserved.